DHARAMSALA, 7 Sept: The political head of the Tibetan people, Penpa Tsering and the Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile, have both extended their congratulations to Liz Truss on her election as the new Prime Minister of the UK.
“On behalf of the Central Administration and the Tibetan people, it is with great honour that I extend our warmest congratulations on your appointment as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom,” the CTA President Penpa Tsering has said in a missive addressed to the UK’s newly elected Prime Minister.
President Tsering has further thanked the UK for supporting Tibet and said “Since the early 1960s, the United Kingdom has been a host to a growing community of Tibetan people. We will always be grateful to the government, parliamentarians, organisations and individuals who continue to support the Tibetan people and their struggle for freedom with great empathy and generosity”.
He concluded by offering Prime Minister Liz Truss the Tibetan People’s “heartfelt congratulations and best wishes for a successful tenure.”
Extending his “heartiest congratulations to the newly elected Prime Minister Liz Trusson on behalf of the 17th Tibetan Parliament-in-Exile and all Tibetans in and outside Tibet, Speaker Khenpo Sonam Tenphel wrote, “Your victory signifies the amount of faith that the people of the United Kingdom have entrusted in you and your leadership.”
“Tibetans share the joy of your victory and we hope you will continue to support the Tibetan cause. I pray and wish you the best for your noble future endeavours towards fulfilling the aspirations of the people of the UK”, he concluded.
With 81,326(57.4 per cent) votes against her opponent former Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak’s 60,399(42.6 per cent) votes, the 47-year-old UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss become Britain’s third female PM with her victory in the Conservative Party leadership contest on Monday.
Following her victory, the UK PM-elect tweeted she would “take bold action to get all of us through these tough times, grow our economy, and unleash the United Kingdom’s potential”.